AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf with cut tongue.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 6/21/2014 09:40 (#3929972)
Subject: Calf with cut tongue.

Columbia City, Indiana
Had a calf that I noticed with a bloody mouth after trying to suck. This cow has very big teats but raises a nice calf every year because they get her opened up. She calved about 3 weeks ago, and everything seemed fine, calf sucked on his own. Been watching and he has pretty much only been sucking one front teat. I was gone on business all week, and moved the cows to new grass last night. She didn't look like she had been sucked, so I went back to look for calf. After grazing for a bit he went back for him too. Finally found him and he looked really skinny like he hadn't sucked in a while but he tried sucking right away and I noticed the blood on his mouth. So I thiought she had mastitis and he was getting bloody milk. Got her in this morning and milked her some, good milk out of 3 teats and kind of watery looking out of the 4th. So I gave her medicine that said it was for mastitis and let her in a pen with the calf. Kept them apart for an hour or so hoping he would be hungry and suck. He went for it but not aggressively so I mixed half a bottle thinking he just was weak and needed a good meal. Caught him, he was still trying to suck, and went to shove the nipple on his mouth, that's when I saw the bloody cut on his tongue. Other than being skinny he acts fine and is good and strong. Is this something that will have to heal on its own? I can't think of anything to put on it that wouldn't stop him from sucking. Thanks for any advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)