AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me use my insight as a spray controller!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/26/2008 07:24 (#342037 - in reply to #341948)
Subject: Re: Help me use my insight as a spray controller!

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The multi-product unlock is necessary if you are ever going to apply more than one product AT THE SAME TIME!

Here's anothe way to explain it. If you want to be able select more than one product on the RUN screen you will need mult-product unlock.

For example if you are planting and want to do a split planter arrangement where you wish to enter two or three different varieties that you are planting AT THE SAME TIME, then you would need the mult-product unlock. If you are using a rig where you are applying two different chemicals AT THE SAME TIME, then you would need the mult-product unlock.

In your case with a simple sprayer you are only applying one product at any given time then the unlock is not needed. Your $750 may not be wasted since it is possible you may want to do multiple things in the future.

You do not need to setup different implements for your different spray mixtures. Most likely you will have a single configuration that consists of the vehicle, implement and controller (DC) that you will be using. You will pick this configuration every time you go to a field to spray with that equipment.

You will also want to define your products which will be the various tank mixes that you use. These tank mixes are defined under the Product Tab. This section allows you to enter in the various components of the mixture and defines the ratios between the various components.

This can be done on a per acre basis but I find it easier to go with the actual tank mix. For example with my 1000 gallon sprayer set at 10 gpa, I can cover 100 acres. My recipe for Roundup is 2200 ounces of Rup, 170# of AMS and top off the tank with water. When I define this mix, I literally tell the Insight these values: 2200 ounces of Roundup, 170# of AMS and the remaining amount of water.

This mix can be named with a name of my choice. On the RUN screen you are asked for the Field, then the Configuration and then the SINGLE product. Pluck this product from the list presented. Any other tank mixes that you have created will be listed as possibilites. Once you have picked the tank mix from the list that you are using today, you will be asked a question about what the applied rate should be based on. For the example above, I would accept the default of the Tank mix based on gallons. That means that the value I enter for the target rate would be 10 gpa.

However, I could have decided that I want to base my target rate on the Rup in ounces. The I would pick Rup from the mixture breakdown. On the actual RUN screen in operation, I would enter the value of 22 ounces/acre as my target rate. Both ways of doing this amount to the same application rate. If I say I want 10 gallons of spray mixture/acre or 22 ounces of Rup per acre, the actual application is the same.

Also you will notice that when you review your product list, different icons are are used for pure products vs tank mixes. The tank mixes have the Ying Yang symbol so that you can easily spot them.

When entering the tank mix into the Product list, it is not necessary that the total remaining end up as zero. I list water as one of my components but it is really not necessary.

Many of our customers who first create their mixtures have difficulty because they try to make it too hard. Don't worry about converting all the components to the same units as the Insight will handle all that.

We had one customer who was worried that making a partial batch to finish up would cause problems. This is not a problem as long as you put the components into the tank in the same proportion as a full fill. In other words, if you only need 2/3 of a tank to finish up, you will put 2/3 of each ingredient into the tank - the ratios are still the same.

The advantage of using this tank mix scheme is that the Insight can then accurately create reports and summaries that correctly reflect the amount of each ingredient that was applied on a per acre and field total basis.

Edited by tedbear 3/26/2008 07:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)