AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

gray runny manure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Toepincher
Posted 6/1/2014 09:13 (#3896173 - in reply to #3896056)
Subject: RE: gray runny manure

North Dakota
It's most likely rota or carona virus. It usually pops up when you get a number of rainy, drizzly, cloudy days. As the above post said cows get it on their bags and the calf sucks and they get the ****s. Usually a couple days of sun shine butts clear up and life is good. Having said that it can get to a level of being toxic and trust me it will kill calves. We had a wreck a few years ago when the cows were wallowing through a bog to some grass on the other side and we had sick calves. We didn't know what was causing it and we had treated like 50 out 80 calves born that spring. There would be a calf running across the pasture in the morning and laying flat with his eyes sinking by evening. We were checking 3 times a day and hauling around buckets of electrolites to drench these calves to keep them going. One day I was pissed off watching the cows wallowing a cross the bog and we put an electric fence up so they couldn't go in there and 3 days later we never had a sick calf. That bog was the source of the virus and I never had a clue. Now we feed a lick tub with Bio moss and a stress pack and hadn't lost a calf till this year when the cows started wallowing in another little puddle in the calving pasture this year. After I thought about it it makes sense that puddle is usually pretty full out over the sod from spring run off, this year we had very little snow hardly any run off and just a mud puddle so the sows wallowed out to drink the 2 inches of slough water came out with bags full of mud = sick calves. We moved them to a pasture across the road that was all clean and it cleared up. As we got rain and many more cows in pasture it would get dirty we would move them to new grass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)