AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not like'n the field work.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 5/31/2014 00:36 (#3894402 - in reply to #3893425)
Subject: RE: Not like'n the field work.

Beresford, SD
I enjoy field work......It is like being on vacation from the daily routine of feeding/caring for cattle. I would much rather do chores than plant/fieldwork. I just got in from getting 1st cutting of hay rolled up (short crop- about 1.5 ton acre). I get sick and tired of people on here blowing about no till. Everyone has different soils, climate and situations. I sold crop insurance for FCSA for 10 years and saw everyone's yields.........THERE IS NO PERFECT APPROACH. No till works great in loess hills.....but flat heavy black dirt in the north does not no till year in year out successfully. As far as cover crops south I -80 I think its a no brainer...try getting a cover crop to work in a corn soybean rotation in SD.......GOOD LUCK! Your program may work great in your area but we all live in different climates and have different soils. We have no tilled some in the past and may do a few farms next year (beans) but in our area a lot of "NO-Tillers" are now vertically tilling before corn. (HMMMM) We use minimum tillage disc stalks in the fall and don't touch the bean stubble,,, run field finisher in spring before planting beans or corn......I feel it is the most successful approach for us and it may no be for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)