AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat sell off..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 5/17/2014 06:26 (#3874694 - in reply to #3874626)
Subject: RE: Don't have time..

North Central Illinois
Stop with the hostility already. It sounds as if you market similar to me. I am normally 5% to 50% sold of my APH by July 4th. Without digging back thru my records I am going to say I was around 25% sold in 2012 which obviously turned out to be closer to 40%. I wasn't the only one either. We were called unbelievable names and told what we were doing was criminal. You can't sell what you haven't got. Now I'm hearing it is okay as long as you don't tell anyone about it? I'm not defending the USDA. They were wrong. My point was that it didn't hurt you any since I highly doubt you were selling any when prices were getting beat down by their false reports. The corn I had sold was sold a hell of a long time before summer. So, you and I sold some corn with a 5 or a 6 in front of it and then got to sell the rest of the crop for $8. We also collected an insurance payment based on over $7. Best gross per acre I've ever had and yours couldn't have been that bad either unless you were heavily forward contracted at lower prices. So, tell me where you or I went wrong and how we were harmed by the USDA? Were they wrong? Oh heck yeah! My point is that in the end it really doesn't matter because the market got it right in the end. Do I wish I had those forward contracted bushels to sell at $8? Sure I do but the fact that I didn't had nothing to do with the USDA and I'm not blaming them for my marketing decisions. One rain and I would have wished I had a lot more sold. As for a complete crop failure on some of the best dirt in the country, I can't market my crop by expecting that every year. With weather extremes it will probably happen sometime for the first time ever. Maybe this is the year but I can't market that way. If I lived in Kansas, Missouri, or other places that suffer lighter soils and Mother natures wrath, I probably would forward contract very little. Everyone's situation is different.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)