AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa gas/sales tax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 5/16/2014 13:56 (#3873746 - in reply to #3873640)
Subject: RE: Iowa gas/sales tax

dwag - 5/16/2014 12:37 What's your opinion on toll roads, rural or urban? 

If they are built with PRIVATE money I have no problem with toll roads. If they are built with public money I've got a problem with them.  Also the roads that need repair the most in Iowa are secondary (county roads) not the Interstate system.   It'd be kinda hard to make county roads into toll roads.

Frankly I'm glad we don't have them.

Perhaps a fee per wheel on vehicles and machinery that use the road. Not being a "smart Alec" just tossing out an idea. john

I'm not 100% against having large hauling type equipment (600 bu wagons/truck trailers on dolly's/manure spreaders) that spends time hauling grain/fert/manure on the road be subject to some sort of fuel tax/user fees.    I just can't think of a good way to do it that is fair and doesn't lead to a whole pile of paper work & govt waste.

How do you tax a wagon/spreader without knowing if it will ever haul on the road?  How could you make road fuel mandatory for on road use on equipment that spends 15 mins of every hr on the road and the other 45 min in the field?

I already spend enough time trying to keep everything in govt compliance so I don't want anything overly complicated, that's where my opposition on tax/fees on farm equipment comes from.

Edited by Kooiker 5/16/2014 14:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)