AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

recycling plastic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/3/2014 10:27 (#3851444 - in reply to #3849808)
Subject: RE: recycling plastic

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
S Frisch - 5/2/2014 12:40

The difficulty with plastic recycling around here is transportation.  We have lots of wide open space for landfill room and being a desert the leachate isn't as much a risk as what you would have in the Midwest.  Shipping to a processor is 700 or 800 miles to Portland or Central California, negates the energy savings on plastic recycling.  

Trash incinerators look like  a viable option, where they burn the plastics to generate electricity.  One was proposed near Boise and the public resistance killed it from what I last heard.  

I agree though, its sad how some people let the used plastic create a mess.

Same here. Most of gets 'recycled' to which ever neighbor it blows on to, or back into the atmosphere.

Since we are in California (geographically anyway), there is a constant barrage of proposals to get our counties waste into all of the recycling programs. Someone will try for a while, then realize they are driving a truck 600 miles to pick up mostly empty bins, and that is the end of it until another politician makes it the issue again. Recycling is great, it just doesn't make sense to burn 300 gallons of diesel to recycle a couple tons of cardboard and plastic.

I guess our claim to fame is this is the only county in CA where burn barrels are still legal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)