AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

damage corn-whats it worth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Beefbiz
Posted 4/6/2014 21:45 (#3801541 - in reply to #3799846)
Subject: RE: damage corn-whats it worth?

all over Iowa
Heat damaged corn is usually 90-100% the feeding value of #2 corn. I cut kernels open to check the starch inside, if the starch is white I'm confident it will work fine whatever the shell looks like. If the starch is tan, you will start loosing digestibility. If the starch is dark, or the kernels feel light, you can't buy it cheap enough. As was stated, mold is an entirely different issue and something to be avoided.

I usually recommend feeding up to 25% of the total as fed diet, or up to half of the corn portion when there are wet co-products in the diet. Nothing scientific about those levels, just easy thumb rules to remember. I've never seen them reduce performance if the starch is good, but if the starch is damaged enough it could affect marbling. The only time I have seen cattle back off intakes due to heat damaged corn is when there was an actual fire in the elevator and the smoke smell was very strong.

As for what to pay for it, as little as you can without letting it get away - I usually start with half the price of #2 and negotiate from there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)