AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow-Calf vs Row Crop Profit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John In Ontario
Posted 4/6/2014 16:23 (#3800738 - in reply to #3800207)
Subject: RE: Thanks Guys, 1234. John,

Ripley, Ontario Canada
Haven't seen a lot of $15 000 right around me, $8000-$10000 is asking, not sure what selling is here. Was some undrainded dirt went to mid $5000's on auction last summer no sale, but later sold don't know price.

Figuring out costs could be a full time job. I graze with tumble wheels, try to graze stalks in fall, but have to have stored feed from mid Nov to mid May, just no guarantee that anything other than stored feed will work, we get too much snow and storms here.

Calving labour is the other big question. If you calve in Jan/Feb here you need lots more labour. I calve may june on grass spend 15 min 2x a day checking cows and moving fence. Maybe 15 min a calf tagging and then the few that don't suck take a few hours.

The biggest factor with how many acres it takes is how much management you put in. I run cows on row crop ground, so good seed in pasture, 200 pounds of fertilizer per year, cut when gets to far ahead of cows and strip graze.

For my 22 cows in the last year I had 18 acres of pasture, 2-3 acres of waterway/wheat stubble, 24 acres of second cut that would have been a 4x5 bale per acre or less, and have fed about 85 4x6 bales of hay and 25 3x3x7 bales of hay till now. The haylage I took off the pasture will feed the calves to 800 pounds with about 12 ton of shelled corn and a bit of mineral.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)