AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop for new pasture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/3/2014 12:36 (#3794388 - in reply to #3794306)
Subject: RE: cover crop for new pasture

southern MN
No companion cover works here in fall. But in spring, one good rain (common here) and you are fixing up the washouts in our clay.....

Some dairy have gone to planting oats or wheat, combine and bale straw, then plant the alfalfa or grass crop in early fall. We often get a nice late summer rain and works well in wetter clay ground. Gives you a full crop and a good pasture the next summer.

An alternative between you and the dealer is to plant with an oats cover crop, keep it light, and then mowing it for hay just before boot stage. That would give your sod a bit longer to establish. This is nice for an alfalfa crop 'here'.

However, grass crops tend to fill themselves in, I presume you have no intention of using it in 2014, and grass should recover and fill in by itself after the oats and straw harvest, so I would prefer running the oats cover rather than not. I would not want the bare weed covered spring seeding.

But your soil, your climate, makes a big difference don't know what's right for you.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)