AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Sunny
Posted 3/11/2008 16:03 (#331649 - in reply to #331626)
Subject: RE: I guess I just do not have what it takes to be a gambler

NVDave - 3/11/2008 15:13 ...the two most successful groups of people he's seen who get into trading later in life are a) farmers, b) engineers. His reasoning why they tend to be more successful than other later-in-life traders is that they both intuit risk (from a lifetime of having the lessons of risk taught to them the "hard way") and refuse to take on trading risk that would cause them to lose so much on a bad trade that they're busted out of the market (and possibly worse).

My two years playing at day trading would say the other side is not taking manageable risks often enough. Trying to be too safe can be expensive too, by not investing in opportunity for fear of understood risk.

Farmers and engineers understand it is not always a sure thing ... unlike people on salary or with tenure that want their guaranteed income and benefits. Anyway, not taking risk at the right times was more the reason I broke even, though if I'd traded a thousand instead of a hundred shares, I'd have been fine.

On my little spot I'm buying 70% RA with the fall option and hail. Now want to sell what would be covered with the fall option.  Now if we can just roll another $14 for October futures ... Cool

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)