AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is It Too Late?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

gmoney
Posted 3/26/2014 14:55 (#3777746 - in reply to #3777486)
Subject: RE: Is It Too Late?

SC Wisconsin
davpal - 3/26/2014 09:42

I don't try it anymore. We have some really wonderful greenhouses in our area that have about the best and healthiest plants I've ever seen for really good prices. Whenever I've tried the transplants they are always spindly and usually die of transplant shock. Seems for me It's better to wait until the ground gets warm later in the season and plant from the greenhouse. The plants just seem to rocket out of the ground and are going in no time. Same thing with seeds. I've planted seeds that grew so fast in the warm soil they more than passed any transplants I started much earlier. I even learned that last year with soybeans. Some planted much earlier lost the vigor because of bad weather timing and some planted two weeks or even a month later passed them buy and smoked them on yields.

I know what you are saying. About the only reason I still start my own plants is that I like to try odd/heirloom varieties. It's a bit of a crapshoot what variety will be available in the greenhouses around here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)