AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JBS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

buckeyefarmer
Posted 3/24/2014 21:47 (#3774265 - in reply to #3774136)
Subject: RE: buckeyefarmer

nw oh
We have run the full spectrum of feeding Holsteins (yearling, 700 lb calf feds, 500 lb calf feds, 350 lb calf feds, and baby to finish). Currently buy baby's contract someone to bottle and feed from 250 to finish. I think United Producers a few years ago were promoting a program of baby to finish. They all have their place but yearling Holsteins are getting harder to find and the feed conversion on them can really get you with high price feed.

They take a couple of turns to get a feel for their conversions and gains and how the contracts work. Ohio is a good place for Holsteins with our proximity to JBS in Plainwell and between good Dairy regions in New York and Wisconsin.

From what I have read Larry Shoat and Burdick can probably give more insight than me on feeding Holsteins. Talk to a neighbor who feeds them all cattle feeders I know are pretty willing to share experiences. I am learning every group and never feel like I have it figured out. Just wish it did not take a year to get a new lesson.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)