AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

********Weigh Ins For 3/23/14 To 3/29/14*******
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/23/2014 13:33 (#3770920 - in reply to #3770082)
Subject: RE: ********Weigh Ins For 3/23/14 To 3/29/14*******

11 pounds away from target, the lightest I have been in many years.
I am giving myself 3-4 weeks to reach target and buy new jeans and underwear.
I feel good, 55 pounds down from October 7, 110 pounds from 2007!

I was what they used to call "morbidly obese" between 2007 and 2009 (now they use more politically correct names, i.e. "Class 3 - Very severely obese"). I went down one "class" ("Class 2 - Severely obese") by the end of 2009 until 2013, when I started a fast and diet on October 7. That 2 week fast was a very bad idea, as my weight went up and down for over 3 months, but I managed to stabilize and stay at "Class 1 - Moderately obese" since mid January.

I am now at 225 pounds, aiming for 214, when I'll then be just "Overweight", not obese anymore. Still nowhere near healthy, and at the top of the Overweight Body Mass Index scale instead of at the bottom, but given where I am coming from, it would be a huge achievement for me.

I was only 6 pounds below Class 3 when I started dieting in October 7, so I had to shake a whole 30 pounds to get down to Class 1, which I reached temporarily for a week on November 21. Then my weight has been oscillating on the verge between Class 1 and 2 until January 18, since when I stayed on Class 1. I have had another whole 36 pounds to shake since January to reach the next BMI level.

So it looks like I managed to lose 10 pounds a month on average since October 7, even with all the ups and downs.
If I make it to Overweight next month, I'll still have another 36 pounds to lose to get to "Normal (healthy weight)", when will this ever end? Oh, it ends right there, actually. ;)

I still have a bit of that flaccid beer gut, the bane of middle aged males. I guess this won't disappear by next month either. Probably have a lot of visceral fat too, that will also be the last to go away.

So the morale of the story is that it's possible to lose weight and stay stable. It's not easy, especially when you have to beat years of bad habits such as large portions, processed food, irregular meal times, or when you have stress (comfort food beats any medicine), with both your body and mind pleading for Pringles and pizzas, but it can be done. In my case, it was also difficult because I love food (who doesn't?) but it made me appreciate what I had even more. I found out that I had much more free time too, with less time spent on preparing and cooking food, and I even saved on money, often cooking large quantities of food to freeze into individual portions. For instance after the holidays I bought a whole ham and an half on sale at $0.80/lb, this week brisket at $2, and a few whole broilers at $1, you don't need much meat to flavor a tasty veggie soup. Half a ham makes over 16 portions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)