AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about pulling calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IFarmtoo
Posted 3/11/2014 18:58 (#3747931 - in reply to #3744236)
Subject: RE: Question about pulling calves

Eastern Iowa
I have pulled calves both ways with them in a shoot and without. I have pulled a lot of them and I see some disagree but if at all possible I put them in a shoot that both sides can open. That way if they are weak and go down you can get them out.
If you have them in a shoot you can work on them easier and have every thing at hand. I've had cows with twine calves with legs crossed, lots of calves born tail first which are easy but most of the time need help and can be dangerous because will go a long time without breaking the water.
But as some of you may also have experienced is a cow with a flipped over calf bed. If you even think you have this situation and don't know how to turn the calf call the vet asp and don't atempt it yourself because it will only be harder for the vet to figure out which way to turn the calf.
If you are having trouble get the cow in that might be out in the pasture bring 1 or 2 tame cows with her to follow. I always keep some older or pets to Led the way. Good luck to all its a lot of hard work this time of year!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)