AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field IQ RPM sensor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/2/2014 08:23 (#3726526 - in reply to #3726246)
Subject: RE: Field IQ RPM sensor

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
B'o'B - 3/2/2014 00:01

Thanks Fingers,
I need to use a flow meter for feedback but just wanted to monitor RPM through the screen to save adding another box in the cab, so I'm hoping your not right!
Something I was reading yesterday suggested the RPM sensor used a pulsed connection to ground for sensing. I think the flowmeters works by giving out a voltage high pulses so I was kind of hoping they where sensed off different pins.
The software side of things give the impression it may be possible, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part!

I don't know about your situation with Field IQ but shaft sensors and flowmeters generally work under the same principle. There is a wire called the signal line. This wire is held at a positive voltage (often 5 V) by the system. The system has what's called a pull-up resistor in it to try to keep the signal line at this voltage. You could think of this as a spring of sorts that tries to keep the signal line "hot".

When the shaft sensor or the turbine in a flowmeter turns, a magnet passes by the sensor. This either directly or indirectly through a circuit in the device pulls this signal line to ground or zero volts. There is no damage to the circuit since this small voltage is dissipated as heat through the resistor. Once the magnet moves away from the sensor, the signal line again returns to the higher voltage. This creates a pulse whose frequency is related to the speed that the shaft sensor or turbine is turning.

The system watches and counts these pulses for a period of time. Then by using the meter cal which has been entered into the system, the quantity of product delivered within that time period can be determined. This information along with a somewhat similar process for distance and width gives the system enough information to calculate the applied rate.

Generally a shaft sensor or flowmeter can be used interchangeably from an electronic point of view.

Edited by tedbear 3/2/2014 08:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)