AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sell a few Nov. beans for $11.45???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 2/28/2014 20:50 (#3723625 - in reply to #3722527)
Subject: RE: Sell a few Nov. beans for $11.45???

Clay SEIA - 2/28/2014 11:13

Let's say you have a 160 APH, 80% coverage, and the harvest price goes to $6.50.  You are guaranteed 128 bushels x $6.50= $832.  Sounds like a pretty nice gross income, certainly.

But you sold 100 bpa earlier for $4.50, thinking that would be not much more than half of your crop.  Until it never rains again and you end up growing only 80 bpa.

Now you have 80x$4.50= $360 crop sales + a 48 bushel payout from insurance @ $6.50 totaling $312, for a grand total of $672/acre.  Except that there is that 20 bpa you didn't grow and have to buy back and eat $2/bu on.  Now our $672 gross per acre is whittled down to $632, and things are getting a bit skinny.  200 bucks disappeared from that $832 face value. 

I guess the way I look at is that when you sold the $4.50 corn you were happy with it (maybe happy isn't the right term but you sold it) later the market moved up $2 and you were no longer happy with the sale.    This has absolutely nothing to do with crop insurance or the lack of producing a crop.    It happens to guys that don't have insurance and it happens to guys that raise big crops as well.

I also question selling 100bpa thinking it is half the crop on 160 APH ground.   History says otherwise.   200 bpa on 160 ground is one heck of a jump above trendline....

Look at it this way, if you would have sold the whole 160 APH for $4.50 you'd have $720/acre.

In your scenario with the 80% insurance, having sold 100 bpa and harvesting 80bpa you ended up with $632/acre.

When you insured your crop you were probably only guaranteed $550-$600/acre.

I'd say not too shabby for harvesting a crappy crop and being on the wrong side of the market.

You can make a scenario for selling $6+ corn a year in advance (because you knew you'd be able to get insurance to cover 85% of your APH), possibly harvesting an avg to great crop and looking like a genius.

Crop Ins doesn't remove 100% of the risk but it sure knocks it down a bunch.

Now back to the topic of selling Nov beans.    My email works if you want to discuss this more.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)