AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sale barn run
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 2/23/2014 13:40 (#3711024 - in reply to #3710927)
Subject: RE: Sale barn run

Central Texas
Watch out for those old lousy red cows!! LOL Bet she will make you a good profit. Good thing you waited until the end of the sale. That's when most of the good buy's are. Gotta' out wait the "got to buy me some cows" buyers. Cows most always overpriced until they all run out of money. Can be really entertaining when there are 3 or more of those type folks buying. Good thing the money always runs out before the cattle do. Sometimes it takes a few months for this to happen so patience is important.

I don't worry about horns but try to make sure horned cows are fairly docile before buying them. Try to avoid horns with an attitude. Can usually buy a horned cow a little cheaper. Since horns make little difference when sold for slaughter any discount for horned breds is a bonus to me.

Your price sounds pretty good to me if they're fairly heavy bred. When I really need to add cows am willing to pay 10-15 cents/# over their kill value. Your cows look they would bring $.90+ for slaughter, so your buy price looks OK to me. The discipline to ONLY buy the right cows at the right price is critical to financial success with these old cows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)