AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sericea lespedeza and cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Boyote
Posted 2/18/2014 19:49 (#3700019 - in reply to #3699860)
Subject: Re: sericea lespedeza and cows

South Central Ky
I guess I was the one that referred to it as poor mans alfalfa. So lets talk about it, It will grow where nothing else will(pH to low for corn 4.5 or less, it will grow) to dry it will grow, our cows haven't had anything else to graze on in ten years. It does get tough and inedible if not grazed down or mowed to about ankle high. I have baled hundreds of rolls, where u cut one day all day long, get up and start raking at 4:30 in the morning and quit at ten oclock to keep it from shattering. Cows like it if it is short but will go thru and only eat the top part of the plant that is growing and is tender. Now understand I am utilizing land that was formerly strip mined and has no natural fertility and no water holding capacity(ground was turned over nearly 100 feet deep and kinda leveled and reseeded). I have tried ever other kind of grass to renovate this land, in the summer it will burn up and die. So while it isn't for everyone, I wish I had 10 thousand acres of the stuff, because I know how to handle it. Oh I'm in South Central Ky, town of Beaver Dam, on the eastern edge of the western Ky coal field,
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)