AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bucket calf feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BillinMN
Posted 2/14/2014 17:32 (#3690134 - in reply to #3690095)
Subject: RE: Bucket calf feed

Buffalo, MN
brevin97 - 2/14/2014 16:09

Calves will be weaned from milk in 5 more days. Currently eating around two lbs. a day of the molasses starter feed. Looking for advice on a ration to transition them to shortly after weaning. Local mill carrys Hubbard 32% all natural sup. They mentioned 500 lbs of that, 500 lbs sweet bulky, 500 lbs oats or maybe he said oat pellets, and 500 cracked corn to start with.
I got 35 hd straight holstein and 5 hd holstein/Angus cross. Planning to grain them hard with limited roughage. Is this ration to fluffy/fiber or not for this stage?
At some point down the road they mentioned a ration of mostly corn and DDGs with a balancer.
In the past I've mixed up on farm 500 lbs Kent Calf go 32% with 50-100 lbs kattle bulk and remainder cracked (hammer mill with screen out) corn. Seems like too many fines this way, thinking of having the mill mix something this time, or mix it myself with shelled corn.
Any advice would be appreciated!

I use 50 lbs of calf starter plus 50 lbs of vita plus sirloin builder starter plus 140 lbs of whole corn. The calves transition well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)