AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Legality of using a picture of someone else
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 2/11/2014 07:29 (#3680940 - in reply to #3680800)
Subject: RE: Legality of using a picture of someone else

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
I've done professional photography for years and have sold prints to people at art shows ect...Also given and shared with many people my artwork... When I sell a print I limit it to a maximum of 15... If I post it on the net I make sure there are watermarks or it can't be downloaded by right clicking on it if it was a photo that was sold.. That said copywrite rules explain they are not to be scanned and reproduced as it's "my" work and was sold as a 1 piece item unless it was of the understanding it was digital and would be reproduced.. I have actually had one person mention to me they wanted "royalties" from me because they were in the photo..(wrong).. I've been asked to do weddings and don't do them as it's not what I am into because of the standing and to many scheduling conflicts.. I see a lot of my photos posted by others but they are not photos that I have sold or are for sale and I really don't care or I wouldn't post them online to begin with. Then again if someone asks and I give them photos to use with the understanding they are going to be used I don't have a problem with it but if it's been from a job someone else paid for the person who paid for the photos to be taken might have a say in if they want these photos shared.. I've had request from people not to photograph them which I respect and also had people ask not to put their photos on the net for whatever reason.. I haven't done any shows for a couple years now or sent any photos in to contest either but if I take some for the paper they give me photo credits.. The credit for a published or internet photo on the web is a big deal to some photographers even if the people give you a copy of the photo. I'm pretty laid back and the only thing that would upset me as a photographer would be if I seen someone making copies or posting photos I've sold.. There are so many who feel they are so called "Professional" photographers now days since digital came in that it really does take a lot of time and investment if one is doing it to make a living...
Getting back to the situation here if I were you I would respect the photographers request as if it's going to have a chance of effecting your client base why bother with taking a chance at messing things up. As others said, many do not want photos of their kids or themselves on the net at all.. All in all I will agree it's a gray area but why bother putting your business at risk of losing any customers.. If I tell someone they can use a photo they are welcome to use it but it's usually put on a site with credits to who took the photo in case I do want to start selling again as name recognition is advertising too...
Good luck....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)