AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any end users altering plans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Bonpas
Posted 2/6/2014 00:43 (#3666772)
Subject: Any end users altering plans?

SEIL
Are there any end users (big or small) that have modified their purchasing or storage plans slightly or significantly after going through the shock of $8.50 corn? Has anyone decided "I am implementing a new strategy in case of a major production shortfall in the future"?

I am not an end user and not saying anyone should or shouldn't change what has worked for them or their families for years. Just wandering?

I realize the ethanol plants can be idled but the meat producers at the very least surely thought about substantially increasing their days of feed on hand when grains became cheaper? I know for a fact some young Holsteins got a bullet in the head about 16 months ago. Maybe one plan of attack would be to start shooting them earlier next time? Or maybe someone like myself heard about it and is now going to perpetually keep a 400 bu wagon full of corn and 40 bales of hay around the farm earmarked for the next emergency?

I also realize if we have 5-7 decent crops before the next scare even the good planners will likely be back to just in time delivery. Just seems to me like even if you had to build a new bin and fill it full of corn to ensure there was always enough on hand to get every last animal to marketable size......that would be "chicken feed" in the financial scheme of things.

It's more than obvious the producers are adding storage like mad. Maybe some of you end users have contracts to purchase the grains that goes in those bins many years in advance for a pre-agreed ratio ie. fat cattle/corn, fat turkeys/corn, avg price of April/May corn price?

I will admit that if we go back to $2.50 corn even old Bonpas will be making a few alterations in my plans. May even right a few down so I don't forget them like last time. Bonpas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)