AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low PH Farm (should i add more P/K in my spread)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

schmid
Posted 2/2/2014 14:45 (#3656979 - in reply to #3652188)
Subject: Re: Low PH Farm (should i add more P/K in my spread)

ECIL
Brian, would you consider hitting it before planting with something like a CaseIH 330 or similar VT tool? It would get the lime mixed in the soil a little and won't all be laying on top of the residue. I no-till most of my beans, but if something comes up where I have to lime a stalk field with 2or more tons, I try to do at least some kind of tillage to that field.

Also, don't lose hope on that farm. I'm embarrassed to post this picture, because I soil test as a side business to farming, but this field got away from us bad. I shoot for 6.4-6.9 and approx. 70% of my tests are in that range, but this is sad. These tests were done in Spring of 2013. The beans made 69.6 on this field in '13 and I was afraid they would be much worse than that after seeing those results. I straight spread 2tons of ag lime this past fall and will reevaluate again in 15 and probably be going with another 2 tons then. I personally wouldn't go more than 3 tons especially in a no-till situation as you could get a crop injury from too high a pH in your top couple inches of soil with certain herbicides. Good luck.

(picture000.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments picture000.jpg (32KB - 198 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)