AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Add Raven sidekick to DJ LMII for N Serve
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/28/2008 05:40 (#321436 - in reply to #321054)
Subject: Re: Add Raven sidekick to DJ LMII for N Serve

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
To hook up a Sidekick to any system requires that the Sidekick get "boom sense". Boom Sense means that the Sidekick needs to "know" which (if any) booms are ON at any given time.

When the Sidekick sees no booms ON it will stop pumping. When it sees any booms ON it will start pumping at the speed necessary to deliver the proper amount of product for the width of booms that are currently ON, based on Ground Speed and desired rate.

The Sidekick was designed to piggyback on top of a Raven 4x0 controller such as a Raven 440, 450 etc. The Sidekick wiring has a tee in it for this purpose. If using a Raven 440 or 450, this tee is plugged in between the original Raven wiring and the Raven console. All the normal information is passed through this tee to the original console and the boom lines are tee'd off to the Sidekick console so that it knows which booms are ON/OFF. So installing a Sidekick with a Raven 4x0 controller is quite easy.

The Sidekick can be wired to work with other brands of controllers as long as the Sidekick gets the Boom Sense that I refer to above. Sometimes this is easy, other times more difficult.

What it boils down to, is that a custom tee often needs to be made to get the boom sense from the main system into the Sidekick. In Raven terms, Boom Sense must be +12V when a particular boom is ON and "floating" or ground when the Boom is OFF.

For many systems this is fairly easy if you can find which wires are the boom sense and determine if they go to 12V when the valve is OPEN. This is usually but not always possible.

We have been successful in doing this with many systems (Deere, Hinkier etc.) but we have not had need to do this with the DJ LMII that you have. In general the older DJ systems have been more difficult to work with due to the FLUSH switch that is often used.

At the very worst, a SPST switch could be installed to provide the 12V to Boom 1 (Pin 6 in the harness) to start/stop the pump. This would require the operator to flip this switch on every end. This is not the most desirable setup but it would work. For one DJ rig, I used a relay triggered by the DJ system to do this. The load from the coil of the relay caused confusion in the DJ side and I had to abandon that plan.

Edited by tedbear 2/29/2008 06:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)