AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thank you AGTALK!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BULLGUY
Posted 1/27/2014 14:23 (#3639883)
Subject: Thank you AGTALK!

Recently I had a calf that would not suck, had to pull him early Tuesday, had no interest in sucking, tried all of what I have in the past and I have had piles of experience since 1987, well, I goes on AGTALK and to SEARCH, typed in 'calf won't suck', lots of suggestions, but the one that worked is;

----•What we have found is to tube the calf. I'm assuming he got tubed with colostrum at birth. """"Now tube him with milk replacer or milk out the cow and add some instant coffee crystals to it. Use regular coffee, NOT DECALF. The caffine does wonders for simulating."""" I learned this trick from Graham Cattle School in Kansas many years ago. Sometimes it takes longer then others, but I've always gotten it to work. Thank God I haven't needed to do it in years.-----

It was Friday nite in a snow storm that I tubed him with replacer and the teaspoon of coffee, Saturday morning he is running around the pen, jumping up and down, could not believe it, then I looks a the udder and I thought maybe a tit had been sucked, went on and did chores, comes back and he is sucking. Believe it or not, I never touched the calf to get him sucking, tried the last time on Friday evening and somehow, he was energized on Saturday morning to hook up on his own, THANK YOU AGTALK!

PS, 700 lbs @ $2/lb=not sure what the coffee costs, mother bought it, we use Tim Hortons in the perk!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)