AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wtf is with western canadian grain handling system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 1/17/2014 11:04 (#3611233 - in reply to #3610957)
Subject: Re: Wtf is with western canadian grain handling system

Rivers, MB
Don't forget though that $56/tonne "basis" was subtracted off an in-store Vancouver/thunder Bay price. Not off the Mpls futures. So isn't a fair comparison to today's basis levels.

I'm not actually convinced that the railways are the whole problem. Could they do more. Probably. But they're already shipping more grain/week than the 5 year average. Anyone looked at terminal capacity in Vancouver. I've seen numbers up to the end of shipping week 21 and I'm not convinced that having unlimited rail cars would fix the problem. We also have to remember we as an ag industry have complained loud enough that the government has put a rail revenue cap on the railways. What do we expect when the railways have alternative business like oil that they can do instead of grain.

We as an industry have made our own bed so to speak. Little value added domestic use of our own product and heavily reliant on exports. With a rail system/port capacity that can handle about 30-33 million metric tonnes/year. In a year where we produced 72-74 million metric tonnes. Lack of vision from all involved has gotten us into a big problem.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)