AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bolts holding 220 Head to Combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 7/11/2006 15:48 (#25617)
Subject: Bolts holding 220 Head to Combine

Macon, IL
I just finished rebuilding a 220 bean head I bought a couple months back. New reel, sickle, etc. Tested it all on the combine and ready to go. Last thing I had to do was just put the bolts through the feederhouse (JD7700) and it is ready to go.

Guess what? Whoever had the head before had a 20 series or newer and used the bolt through bottom of feederhouse into the head. As a result after years of just holding dust and moisture the threads on the head are all but completely gone. I think the bolt was 1/2"-now I can just slide a 1/2" bolt in and out of there with hardly any interference. I though no problem-just put a washer and nut on the other side-but on that head you can't get to the other side as the bolts go into a solid tube.

So now I guess I have 4 possible options:
1) I guess I could torch 3 access holes and put washer and nut on, but I don't want to weaken that solid tube.
2) Drill or torchout hole larger and weld a couple nuts in there to bolt into
3) Drill out a larger hole and buy a large tap and try to put in new threads
4) Put some large UClamp around outside edges to hold to feederhouse.

I am not sure how much material is around the threads-if not much then 2 or 3 are not particularly good options either. But option 4 seems pretty bad too.

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)