AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Age of Farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 10/24/2013 06:56 (#3401968 - in reply to #3401911)
Subject: Re: Age of Farmers

I agree that there is room for smaller independents as the large fertilizer and chemical dealers slowly put themselves out of business (and much faster if profitability pulls back and farmers can't afford the luxury of custom application and expensive, but one stop shopping for products).

The issue is the mindset (even with my straight A daughters) is to find a good job with the good benefits ('we're doomed without gold plated health care' has been drummed into them). Going out on your own and 'hanging out your shingle' is viewed as way too risky. There is also taking only a 'beginners' wage which doesn't sit too well either. To get business you may have to price yourself more attractively and do a better job than the more expensive (but better established) businesses. I've been around guys who thought they could charge beyond their value and it was amazing how fast they got dumped once a better choice was available - there is opportunity for those willing to work. As a tire guy told me 'you can't help but make money at this if you are willing to work'.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)