AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My seed guy tells me that prices will be the same!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IALTO
Posted 10/12/2013 13:37 (#3379437 - in reply to #3379236)
Subject: Re: Think again . . .

WC MN
Your last sentence said you can get the best gerlasms for cheap. I have sought out regional companies and planted their varieties and watched them fall yield sufficiently in good growing conditions and fall on their face in poor conditions. I've let companies source me seed for specific pieces of ground only to watch our go to varieties out yield them significantly.
How much for the corn belt pants 100-110 day varieties? How much of it grows 85-95? I think I know what areas probably have more options and more research invested in them. It has only been the last 10 yrs and really last 5 that the shorter maturity hybrids have become more competitive. More corn acres have moved north and the money has followed. In my mind there is one company that has led the pack in these shorter day lengths and that is what will plant until proven otherwise.
I don't think seed prices should be as high as they are but if there was a company selling the same genetics for that much cheaper everyone would be planting it and Monsanto would be working to buy them out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)