AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off topic-but anyway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/5/2008 07:31 (#301447)
Subject: Off topic-but anyway

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I work with a lot of precision farm electronic products that involve various forms of control. A fairly common situation involves the switching of large electrical loads.

In some cases this is done quite rapidly such in the case of PWM controlled motors or in other cases more slowly such as shutting off electric clutches on planters.

It has been my observation that the manufactures usually do the switching in the "Ground" side rather than the "Hot" side as I would have guessed.

For example with a Raven Injection pump that is run by a PWM controller, the "hot" wire from the battery goes directly to the "hot" side of the electric motor but the "ground" connection is cycled at varying rates to obtain the correct motor speed.

Likewise with Ag Leader's Seed Command. When using the Seed Command module to cycle electric solenoids that shutoff planter sections the electrical load is substantial. In their wiring harness the "hot" is common to all the clutches and goes "around" outside the module but the indivdual "grounds" are controlled by the module. They say this is to reduce the electrical load on the module.

In the above cases, it would seem to me that the electrical loads would be the same whether the "hot" or "ground" is cycled. Yet there must be a good reason for doing things this way.

Any ideas?

"Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)