AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The problem with professional drivers.... trucker took out gate post.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 9/5/2013 11:10 (#3309319)
Subject: The problem with professional drivers.... trucker took out gate post.

Alberta, Canada
Sounds petty, but looking for your thoughts. **Thought about the machinery forum, but those guys don't have anything better to do than clean their shops again anyhow**, where-as you probably don't like having to fix fence any more than i do. ;-)

Hired a CAT hauled home a few days ago, and somehow with a 35ft lowboy he managed to break off our gate post (which is also a brace post with 6-strand barb wire). This gateway has a 33ft opening set back from the road, which has seen just about every trailer out there without incident.

We frequently haul in with 53ft tandem and super-b-trains, and out with 53ft tridem drops behind long frame W900 KWs, never an issue, no back-up-try-again, even in winter. In the dark I commonly pull through the gate loaded in 4th gear without worry. Even had drivers BACK the 53ft tridems into the yard behind their long W900s so they could stay out of the mud in the spring. Point is, even the driver can't see why it would have possibly happened.

Could have rented a trailer from the dealer instead for $200/day plus fuel, instead figured would hire the neighbor and help him out $. Never dickered on his rate or time or anything, even loaded and unloaded for him, but now I'm a little choked he didn't at least offer to pay for the damage. What happens when you take a corner too short and take out somebody's car?

So would you deduct from his bill? Tell him to come back and fix it? Forget about it cause he's just an old local trying to make a buck? Our fault for not having a 150ft wide driveway?

Thanks,
-Josh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)