AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old machine shed trusses.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/4/2013 14:24 (#3307398 - in reply to #3307394)
Subject: RE: Old machine shed trusses.

central - east central Minnesota -

iseedit - 9/4/2013 14:21

Pofarmer - 9/4/2013 13:52 Got a 42' k mar building with scissor truss. Several buildings of similar vintage, not necesarily kmar, have gone down under snow load the last couple winters. Is there any way to evaluate the truss plates and etc for fatigue? The posts are good, but just the age makes me nervous. Most ag buildings are really only a 20-25 year design lifespan.

Are they breaking down, in the truss plate area ? Or, is the breakage in the wood itself ?
I haven't seen any broken truss's in the connecting joints or truss plate areas - the ones I've seen have all been due to the wood breaking (not enough strength).
A guy could increase the load bearing by adding plywood laminated (glued and screwed) to the wood itself .. . (i know I'll likely get flamed for such a suggestion, as I"m not an engineer, but it works).
If they are breaking in the truss plate area, then adding metal or plywood on both sides there could decrease the likelyhood of failure . . . . 

Edit: the failure generally comes from the perlins, the roofing tin is attached to, break, causing side loads to the trusses and then the truss breaks from the pulling force (downward) of the snow load . . . . .
Adding additional perlins between what you have and or next to what you have.
Having all the proper braceing - tieing all the truss's together is key also.    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)