AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Composite deck and hidden fasteners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 8/10/2013 12:04 (#3259425 - in reply to #3258916)
Subject: Re: Composite deck and hidden fasteners

Just finished the deck surface,,,dont have railings done yet. Used 100% pure cedar for all components. Read WAAAAAAAY too many online bitch threads on Trex and all composites are some the same. and it iis on North side of house where mold may be a prob.

I bought the Kreg jig set that toe screws so no screws visible on top and the side holes will fill in over time. About 80 bucks at Menards. Plus a bucket of kreg deck screws. This deck is about foot off ground so didnt want to crawl around under for hidden. (Did that years ago on a simple small step,,,swore never again)

The jig controls angle and depth you drill and screw. Best if you have 2 drills or a drill and a driver for screws,,,they drive and drill very easy in cedar. has built in stops for a great consistent result

My plan was to get done quickly and stain it clear so it doesnt weather grey,,,to keep that fresh cedar look. Works better when you live close and not 120 miles away.

They do have better easier hidden fasteners now than when I did it. Cost is a matter of the mind

But I would do the angle jig system again no matter what I was using for material. IF you can keep from needing railings and posts the deck part was not expensive,,,but handrails, guardrails, posts, spindles and even hardware makes it VERY expensive,,even steps. I would build 3 decks levels to keep from the high cost items above if I could have(space challenged)

Edited by don@nebr 8/10/2013 12:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)