AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manger and Gate pics for Jim
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John In Ontario
Posted 7/14/2013 22:18 (#3208993)
Subject: Manger and Gate pics for Jim

Ripley, Ontario Canada

Here are some pictures of my manger and gate latches.  That is an almost 2 year old Charolais bull 14-1500 lbs. Note how when he is standing eating he can raise his head level with his back and not touch the top of the manger. I think that makes a difference in how much hay they pull through the manger. The steel part of the manger is 48 inches high, sitting on a 16 inch concrete curb for a total height to the top of 64 inches from the floor. The bars are 1.5x1.5x.188 square tube with a 12 inch gap between them, welded to the same size tube top and bottom. The spacing is good for cows, a bit tight for big bulls and to wide for calves, they just go through.

The last 2 pictures are of a spring loaded latch. It is a piece of 1 inch rod with a spring over it to push the pin out. I have drilled the rod and put a cotter pin behind the spring. The gate is guided into that latch plate to a hole in the end. You can latch the gate just by slamming it closed and I just have a rope on the pin to pull to open it. It works really good.

Edited by John In Ontario 7/14/2013 22:27

(cattle manger 002.jpg)

(cattle manger 005.jpg)

(cattle manger 004.jpg)

(cattle manger 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cattle manger 002.jpg (32KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments cattle manger 005.jpg (30KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments cattle manger 004.jpg (30KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments cattle manger 003.jpg (28KB - 121 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)