AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Corn Not Quite Knee High By The First Of July (2 Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 7/2/2013 17:17 (#3187375)
Subject: My Corn Not Quite Knee High By The First Of July (2 Pics)

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello All
Seeing how everyone else is posting corn pics, here's mine. Don't laugh now, not as nice as others. Planted on May 20 into warm soil, then turned cold & NE wind off of still ice covered Lake Winnipeg which is less than 1 mile away. Sat in the ground for 2 weeks before it started to germinate & then just as it started, we got 2 3/4" of rain. Water standing in low spots. Only second year of corn for me, still learning. Last year the corn was about 6" tall when we had an extended wet spell. I was really surprised how it survived the wet ground. It turned pale yellow & I figured here we go again, another crop failure! But once the July & August heat came, it came back dark green & grew 9' tall with cobs filled to the end. It yielded 13.6 tonnes (15 tons) which is pretty good for this area.
This year I learned that corn seed or just germinated corn seed in water will rot!  Also learned from last year not to plant the entire field when you have a pull type harvester. I left a strip around the perimeter & 1 down the middle. Seems like a real waste to trample down 4 rows of corn to open up the field.
Planted in sod disking. Was going to do a pre-seed burn down, but field was black with nothing growing. By the time it dried up after the rain, the dandelions got a good jump on the corn!
Next came the cutworms! They thinned out the rows a bit before I got them taken care of!
These pics are after the second shot of glyphosate on July 1. 
We're starting to get some heat now, so it's starting to grow. Long way from the pile yet, but, we hope!   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)