AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog manure and weeds - something may have changed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/25/2013 15:12 (#3173836)
Subject: Hog manure and weeds - something may have changed

We've been contract growing pigs and using manure on all our ground before corn for 10 years now and it's worked really well. I had heard that there would be more weed pressure to deal with, but generally it wasn't a significant problem. However, I think after last year's poor crop and high grain prices that FM (including weed seed) has been allowed to rise to control costs. I used balance flexx down first followed by a qt of glyphosate with 2.5 oz of status (only really small weeds present when post spraying) thinking I had the 'smoke every broadleaf program including the neighbor's beans' program. Fortunately dinging beans was not a factor this spring, but unfortunately where ever we emptied out a manure hose or stand, or didn't get a full rate of herbicide on it's weed city. In the rest of field it still isn't the squeaky clean weed free field I'm used to. No grass though.

I'm pretty sure it's not a herbicide failure, but an inadequate herbicide program for the pressure that I think I newly acquired. I'm surprised that the dicamba didn't do more since just mentioning the name dicamba to soybeans and most broadleafs causes them to crinkle.

Anyone else notice more weeds in manure ground than previous years?

Edited by Pat H 6/25/2013 15:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)