AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me figure out these feed samples
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

baler brian
Posted 6/22/2013 06:55 (#3167744 - in reply to #3167264)
Subject: RE: help me figure out these feed samples

Gary,

This is coming from a dairy guy so I may look at it a little different. I look at 3 numbers the most to get an idea of how much milk I can get out of a feed, protein, ADF and NDF. The Fiber numbers indicate that you have an average feed. This years haylage has higher fiber numbers compared to stage of maturity when it was cut. I can not explain why, that is just the way it is. The RFV seems in line with the fiber numbers ( protein percent is not a part of the RFV calculation) The protein seems out of line being very high. I would retest it. For getting milk out of a feed, the ADF and NDF is more important than the protein, I can buy protein to supplement but it is hard to buy energy since rumen fill allows only so much that a cow can eat so you have to have a nutrient dense ration to get the most milk out of a cow.

The ash content is higher than normal. If you are cutting it close to the ground in wet conditions like this year, that can be expected.

Moisture is on the high side but still OK. If it gets any wetter you have to look for butyric acid formation in the fermentation process which can really cause problems with a properly functioning rumen.

I would retest it to check the protein %

The other two feeds have limited value going into milk cows. I know you feed beef, so it may not be an issue. There is too much fiber per pound of feed which may be OK if you are looking for a fiber source.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)