AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ruined a new pair off leather gloves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 5/6/2013 11:05 (#3083448 - in reply to #3083313)
Subject: RE: ruined a new pair off leather gloves

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Rusty6 - 5/6/2013 08:14

Illinois John - 5/6/2013 05:36

Been there, done that, have at least two pairs of leather gloves like that.  One time really tore up my skin, but not to the bone.  Second time got the glove, but no skin.  Started carrying a wrench the same size as the bolt, holding it against the head to secure it while removing the nut. 

Glad I don't have to do that job anymore, but air wrenches saved a lot of time over Sockets and end wrenches we used in the past.   

The flat headed cultivator bolts don't take a wrench. They have a square shoulder that fits tight into the shovel and holds itself. After they have been used though, the head wears thin and sharp. Plus if the threads get damaged from use or rust they can slip in the shovel when you spin the nut. If your finger or thumb is on the head it will slice you up. Time to get out the welder, spot weld the head to the shovel to hold it. I've done it. 

I already said I have done that task many times, am well aware of how field cultivator bolts are made.  I used the wrench to hold in on the flat head, which allowed the square part to hold the bolt.  If the bolt slipped out, the wrench got any abrasion.  I only used the same size wrench because sometimes it would be helpful to start the bolt if it was rusted.  I have also used a vise grip if the bolt came out a lot and allowed me to attach that way.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)