AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remembering the good old "dry" days
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 5/5/2013 16:52 (#3081827)
Subject: Remembering the good old "dry" days

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
Spent this weekend in Northwest Iowa (first weekend in May-prime corn planting season) watching it rain, had to turn wipers on just now as I return from an errand, soil temp of 40, looking at a forecast in which 5/6 next days has a probability of rain/showers.

Thought I would just try to relax and watch some sporting events on TV. So far have seen two NASCAR races rain delayed, Kentucky Derby run in slop, and a golf tournament couple hours ago had umbrellas showing in North Carolina. At least the two NHL hockey playoff games were inside and dry.

Even Carl Edwards, who was leading the NASCAR rain when red-flagged because of rain said, "I know that there are a lot of farmers who want it to dry up so they can plant corn, but I am hoping it stays wet so I win the race."

Then I got to remembering the good old days-seems like I am always behind my neighbors in finishing planting beans towards the end of the month of May. Remember all the times disking in treflan and it is so dry and dusty you could hardly see your disk mark coming back? Planting beans in dry dirt, wondering if it will every rain again enough to germinate the beans?

I know, I know, should never cuss a rain, because some day you will dry out, still don't know where last year's corn crop came from (I guess I do know now, I didn't know that corn roots went down 5-8 feet to find moisture).

Enough late Sunday afternoon musings. Have a good week. Bruce.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)