AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Testing Computrak 300 monitor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 4/28/2013 10:04 (#3067624 - in reply to #3067433)
Subject: Re: Testing Computrak 300 monitor

A JD dealer should have a monitor tester, this is one way, if you calibrate it for the radar / ground speed sensing, and if it takes your values, usually pretty good indication all is well, ( these 300 and 250's were decent monitors, and I rarely had trouble with the monitor, usually the planter harnes or sensors were the ones to give the trouble, also you can hook it to your planter, take off a seedbox and meter, sometimes you will see the red beam of light inside the seed tubes if they are the older sensors, if you have a radar, you can fool it with a cordless drill and chuck something in it like a paper pie plate with a bolt in the center, draw a few lines from center out, and set it in front of radar, and set your drill to slow, now check the monitor on speed to see if you can get a number close to 3 - 7 mph, and then select just one row ( say for example try row 1, turn off all your other rows 2-16 ) then drop like a handfull / coffee cup amount of some seed / even small stones will work ( I have even used 1/4 or 5/16 nuts ) and drop these as consistantly as you can, but you have to have a ground speed input to make it work, and you should get some population numbers to show on the monitor, ( this is my "cheap redneck" way ) . If you are using a GPS signal , I can't help you, I have not figured out the way to fool it yet. There are some pretty sharp guys on Ag Talk, that might help you here...
A dealer should be able to test in less than 1/2 hour, so cost should not be a big expense, but if you have some time on your hand ( rainy day in shop ) you can play with my redneck way, and test all the way back to the sensor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)