AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some Dawn 1572 row cleaner help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/23/2013 22:04 (#3058624 - in reply to #3058267)
Subject: RE: Need some Dawn 1572 row cleaner help + edit

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Hello Matt. If I understand correctly, you have some stems with 3 holes on each side but are using our 12.75" diameter swept back tooth wheel.

If this is correct, you have a bit of a mismatch of parts. The 12.75 swept back tooth Trashwheel is always used with our stem with just two holes on each side. The three hole stem you have is always used with our 14" diameter radial tooth Trash wheel.

You can assemble a combo with the parts that you have but there are two potential problems:
- there will be a fairly wide uncleared area right down the middle in some residue conditions
- on the rows between two tires on some models of planter (JD1770NT for one) putting the Trash wheels in the rear hole on the 3-hole stem brings even the 12.75 " wheel very very close to the transport wheel lift arms as you raise and lower the planter. Occasionally they will hit and not so nice things can happen.

The rear hole in the 2 hole stem base used with the 12.75" wheel is further forward than the rear hole on the 3 hole stem used with the 14" wheel.

I don't know how you came up with this mismatch of Trashwheel and stem. Possibly from purchasing some used 2003 Narrow row combo (uses a single 14" wheel on 20" rows. But where did the 12.75" wheels come from?

Depending what planter model you are putting these on you might want to exchange the 12.75 wheels for 14" wheels if new. Or you may want to purchase the proper stems with 2 holes on each side. This might be the best approach from a performance and cost standpoint.

Whichever way you want to go let's work with your dealer to get things setup correctly for what planter model you have.

Since this is not a general interest topic, please contact me by email (in profile) with more details. Or email me a phone number to reach you and we'll work this out. Some things are more quickly handled by phone.

Thanks for your business.

Jim at Dawn

Retreading your last post, on 36" rows, interference with the lift arms is never an issue. So you could mount the 12.75 wheel in the rear hole on the 3 hole stems you have if you don't mind the uncleared strip down the middle (as in worked ground) the Trashwheels will clear clods and level a path for the gage wheels and providing excellent seed depth uniformity.

If you are in notill the I would recommend getting the 2 hole stem for the 12.75 wheel or exchanging the 12.75 wheels for 14" wheels. Do not use hole 1 or 2 on the stems you have with a coulter.

Edited by Jim 4/23/2013 22:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)