AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

College financial aid questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 4/22/2013 06:34 (#3054148 - in reply to #3053869)
Subject: Re: College financial aid questions.

Northern Illinois
Take the time and fill out any scholorship application you can. I serve on a board that awards scholorships based on merit so I know there are some out there. Fill out applications for grants at the school they are going to. Most if not all schools have grants and many if not all departments have grants available. I hear from some that grants go unused because people do not take the time to fill them out. This is from sitting on a board looking at applications: I know it should be your child filling out the applications but make sure someone looks at them before your child submits them. Have someone proofread them.

Check different schools in different states. I know you think your state schools will be cheapest but it always doesn't work that way. Wisconsin for example funds education much better then Illinios. I live in Illinois and my oldest went to a state school in Wisconsin cheaper then my youngest is costing at a state school in Illinois.

I had two in college at one time for one year. I planned my income so that the year I had two in school I showed the farm did not make any money so we were able to get $$ from FAFSA. Then the next year the farm made money so I did not get FAFSA money.

Not saying this to you but all families need to save for college when they are young. I know full well that it was difficult to put money away for college when corn was $2.25 during the '90's and we were just trying to figure out how to keep the banker away but it really is something that needs done.

Not much help but look everywhere for any aid that is available. Farming (grain farming) has been good the last few years so be thankful that you can help support with college costs. I don't want to burden my children with huge student loans when they get out so I am using farm profits to help as much as I can. It is costly but...........................
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)