AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wich roto tiller?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

gmoney
Posted 4/17/2013 08:12 (#3041561 - in reply to #3040093)
Subject: Re: Wich roto tiller?

SC Wisconsin
I just went through this, so have some perspectives I can share. I ended up buying a mid - 80's Troy Bilt horse off Craigslist. Short of buying the BCS, there's not much that can run with the older horses. I've been told that MTD kept the same horse design when they bought out Troy Bilt, but you are in the $2K range there.

My mom bought a Troy Bilt Bronco last year on name alone. Its lighter than the Horse and counter rotating tine. I'm used to the forward rotating tines and like them, and didn't really take to the counter rotating tines. If the tires lose traction, they just spin out and the tines keep digging deeper. You've also got a pinch point between the tines and wheels. Trash and everything bunches up there because the tines bring everything forward. I just never got the hang of it in the hour I used it, and mom's selling it this spring because she hurt her shoulder and can't use the pull start. May be on the DesMoines craigslist now, for all I know.

I'm used to the forward rotating tines (guessing that's standard). You just have to remember that the tines are pushing the tiller forward, and the wheels are holding it back. If the tines ever bite in, you've just got to let go. Too many people panic and grab on harder and push down - which makes the tines bite in more. It does a lot better job of incorporating trash. Before my horse, I had a Troy Bilt pony. It was also forward rotating and a solid tiller. It was a roadside find, and gave me a lot of years of service. If your wife is using it, a Pony might not be a bad idea. My horse is 300lbs+.

My only other word of wisdom is that all manufacturers build stuff to price points. Don't automatically assume that because something says Troy Bilt (or Deere, Cub Cadet, etc...) that's it's built heavier than the one sitting next to it.

FWIW - If I were to do it again, I'd buy another older Horse off Craigslist.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)