AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What a mess
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bordercolliesonly
Posted 4/15/2013 13:02 (#3037364 - in reply to #3035909)
Subject: RE: What a mess

SE South Dakota
Ill try to get some pictures posted later today. I have always bought low birthweight EPD bulls and saved our own heifers so that all our heifers come out of "heifer bulls" and also get bred to "heifer bulls." In the past this has worked very well for us but I've been talking to some other guys in the area that say their calves are a lot bigger than normal this year too.....not sure if it was the weather this year or what. Haven't changed a thing from the past 4 years so the only variable is the weather.
The one broken leg is up high above the stifle and happened while we were pulling him. He hip locked and while we were trying to turn him his femur snapped. I have it splinted using a modified robert jones bandage (like I said....pictures later) so now he just has to learn how to walk around with that splint and hopefully he will be OK.
The second broken leg must have gotten stepped on. That is a fracture of the back fetlock joint. Splinted it and he hasn't missed a beat. Just need to keep him stalled up for a month or so while it heals and he should be just fine.
Got about 15 inches of snow middle of last week and the weather man is talking another 6-8 inches with 30+ mph winds for tues pm through thurs am. I'm sure we'll get more calves during that mess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)