AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crops Interseeded Into Corn & Herbicide Issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 3/27/2013 07:10 (#2994745 - in reply to #2992441)
Subject: Re: Cover Crops Interseeded Into Corn & Herbicide Issues

ecmn
the guys at ND have been doing it for many years now and they have seen no yield loss of interseeding after v-6 stage on the corn. hairy vetch seems to be the popular choice. havent heard of anyone doing a peas or legume. i wouldnt want a tap root plant in my corn, the hairy vetch is a good one because it has a shallow root system and it is a huge nitrogen producer. the plant itself helps absorb rain water instead of it simply running off. the guys i have been talking to are giving interseeding some credit to there good yields and low inputs.
they are then taking corn off and having cattle graze on that ground, others are leaving the vetch grow and keep the ground covered through winter and next spring killing the crop to take advantage of up to 200 N credits that cost them practically nothing.

when guys in north central north dakota can grow similar bushels per acre as me on 1/3 the water and drasticaly less input costs that i am putting down I am going to do everything i can to learn there system.

burleigh county nrcs in north dakota has 30 years of testing this type of farming. they have many videos on youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hiffwu52udU
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)