AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking more about a sheep enterprise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

woodchuck
Posted 3/26/2013 03:24 (#2992028 - in reply to #2991818)
Subject: Re: Thinking more about a sheep enterprise

East central Iowa
Agree feed cost will dictate profit. Flock of 240 ewes will need 60 acres of good producing hay ground in Iowa. Cost to produce that hay could be $80/bale or at current market $150 to 200/bale so that just wiped out all profit if you bought hay. Use any of bugets from internet search.

I think a more real profit would be about $50 using current market. Depends on finshing out lambs or sell as feeders. Current market shows a loss if you buy feeders and finish out. Last year fat lambs sold in Sept. or Oct. only worth $90cwt. and that won't pay the bills. But again land cost and feed cost is going to determine that. Plus you will need facilities to work and handle that number of animals. Yes you can spreadout lambing season with any breed. I lamb over a 4 month time period because I'm a 1 man show and only have 20x26 lambing shed for 90 ewes. takes alot of work. I don't pasture lamb because I rotational graze and move ewes every 5 to 7 days. 90 ewes 9 acres of pasture. A lamb crop of 1.3 vs 2.0 is about 3 times the work. Wool crop sales may pay for searing but not always. Even if land is free you will spend $$$ to maintain that land and fences. Nothing is free or easy, but all things are possible. I've had 9 hrs sleep and a nap here and there in 3 days.

I realized the other day after 15yrs of sheep I don't have a clue at times. But good luck.

Markwright, your $ numbers arn't correct in todays world, maybe New Mexico but not Iowa. I have ethnic market and base $ on what I've seen lately not at high market. I pay over $220 rent for row crop ground that should be pasture. My hay and pasture ground will produce 200 bu. corn. I'm still profitable but not as much as you would like. But less operating capital with sheep. I like my sheep like my women, Fat, Dumb and Happy!

Edited by woodchuck 3/26/2013 03:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)