AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dehorning bleeder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

2hcattle
Posted 3/21/2013 18:45 (#2981270 - in reply to #2981199)
Subject: Re: Dehorning bleeder

Southwest OK
If he's not easily caught and restrained, you'll probably do more harm than good trying to stop the bleeding. The stress of handling will increase his heart rate and make him bleed worse. Only way I would mess with it is if the calf becomes lethargic from blood loss. I'd say about a one in 100,000 chance of that happening. My experience is using blood stop powder will only make you feel better. If it is effective the wound would've stopped bleeding on its own. Burning the horns can be effective, but to me is just added stress. Twine is a good trick, but should've been done before he was let out of the chute. If you do decide to do something, I would recommended twine wrapped in a figure eight around the base of both horns below the hair line. You'll know when its right because the blood will stop immediately. Be sure to remove the twine in a day or two, you don't want him to lose the top of his head. If he is shooting a stream, you can use toothpicks to plug the holes, or forceps to grasp the vein and pull it out. The stretching of the veins will cause them to knot up, stopping the bleeding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)