AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats the next step in taking my corn yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 3/15/2013 15:17 (#2967326 - in reply to #2966809)
Subject: Re: whats the next step in taking my corn yields

McLeod County, MN
rHiNoBaLlS - 3/15/2013 09:03

N timing! About 10% of the guys around here topdress or sidedress. I was told repeatedly it's not worth the effort to split the N. I did a few trials in the last two years and it was good for 10 bpa minimum. I had one field I was running short on in '11 and there was a 60 bpa drop where we missed. I have heard one guy who is putting on 28% in season in an area where everyone was fall applied NH3. He claims 15 bpa. Seems like a lot of work but 15*7*1200 would be worth my time. Every acre we have corn this year will be split app. 1/2 up front with incorporated urea and starter in furrow and 1/2 top dressed Urea with a rogator.

I couldnt agree more!! Last year where I split N blew away the preplant full rate and I only did like 30lbs. 50lb urea and 50lb AMS.

This year I am doing 100lb of Urea and 50lb of AMS. Will give me 56.5N and 12S. I have heard the sulfur really helps the plant uptake the N. Shooting for 180-200 total N depending on the farm. Everything I plant is gonna have 100 total lbs of AMS. I am a big believer in sulfur helping uptake all of your other nutrients. I like zinc in my starter too.

It cost like $7 for the coop to come out and topdress. I would say that last year what I topdressed easily went 20bpa better. The test weight was better too. Had some Channel 196-06 that had 62-63lb test weight. Everything else was around 60lb. including more 196-06 that wasnt topdressed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)