AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lack of corn diversity and GMO pushed on the farmer.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

purplepride0
Posted 3/8/2013 13:44 (#2950961 - in reply to #2950017)
Subject: Re: Lack of corn diversity and GMO pushed on the farmer.

West Central MN (between MMF and Larson's)
Couple points:
1) supply in general is tight. If you are waiting till now to order lots of options have been whittled down/away
2) Non-GMO is an issue occasionally. If you want it I would say start developing a relationship with one of the regionals, if there is demand they will produce. You may have to committ early (real early) but can be done. Problem is that production plans for next year are in place or close to it for Spring 2014 already. Not manufacturing widgets, takes lead time to plant inbreds and get produced. I have lined up Conventional (no trait) products for customers but the problem for us is that there is not consistant demand.
3) economy basics. If there is demand supply will develop to meet it. number of units of demand will be a factor (20 vs 2000)
4) Not the same in all areas but "here" you would have to work real hard to convince me to plant non-RW corn. Not uncommon to see 20-30 bu responce. However pockets 60 miles in any direction there is not as much need. So...your situation/view point can be different from others.

Not trying to be a smart allec, just giving you 2 cents from someone who has worked on that end before too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)