AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thread Organization and Mobile View
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> FAQ & SupportMessage format

durallymax
Posted 3/11/2013 17:57 (#2958108 - in reply to #2947806)
Subject: Re: Thread Organization and Mobile View

Wi
Mike SE IL.

I'm not sure I'm any help, but I thought you deserved a response of some kind. Trying to stir up a hornet's nest?

Thank you for the response. Not trying to stir anything up just figured some I would throw in a few cents. No progress ever happens without suggestions.

I could go on and on with suggestions learned from my years frequenting other forums. Like having a good description in your subject line. With no seperate areas for tractors combines etc, you generally want to put the make model and what you are trying to do. Not "Can I do this". But I don't expect much more and since this forum loads very fast I have no issues clicking on the thread just to see what it is about. I never have understood the "in the morning" that seems to be used quite often. I must have missed something.

A "Multi-Quote" button would be nice as well, but like I said. I get by

Mike SE IL.

That has been discussed at length on AgTalk. The problem is AT moves so quickly and has so much volume that doing like you suggest would be a nightmare. But there is a solution. Try adjusting your settings to make things work the way you want them. As Frytownfarmer says in this discussion, what you can do is awesome once you understand what the system will allow you to do

This forum moves no faster than any other busy forum. It should be able to keep up with moving the recent posts to the top. I do not understand the organization criteria in that section. Does it update only once per hour? What I am suggesting is not a nightmare. Thousands of forums do it with no hassles. Most of them are operating in Vbulletin or other common formats that this forum does not use.

Clicking on posts/threads active today is not an option because it displays everything. I only post in machinery talk.

The first screenshot below will show what I am talking about. The majority of all other forums are this way

Mike SE IL.

First let's address how you view things. I prefer a threaded forum view with a nested thread view. Find the way you prefer things be displayed (forum flat or threaded, threads flat, nested, or threaded), go to the control panel and set your preferences. I changed my forum skin so I can tell by glancing at it if I'm logged in or not.

I prefer flat mode because it is the "ISO" of the forum community. I am not trying to sound like an ass and I do not expect anything to change, however all other forums operate on the concept of each post following the next post. If you want to reply to someone, you quote their post so that people know what you are referencing. This also avoids having to click each and every single persons post. Now I know in one of the other views it will stagger the posts so you do not have to click each one but it still creates an unorganized setup as you have to check through the entire thread to see if there are new posts. Many people also will reply to a certain post but reply to other posts as well which can create an unorganized setup. I realize that this is probably the only forum many of the posters on here frequent so it seems like a non-issue to most of them. I get along fine on it personally. Its not as easy, but I am young and good with computers. Where I see the issue is with others that don't notice all of the details.

The 2nd screenshot will show the way most other forums are organized.

Mike SE IL.

Read Don's reply below. They are working on one. To be honest I don't see what all the desire is for mobile formats. I really like how Ihave mine set up.

My remark about a mobile format was stating that they do have one, not that they should have one. Their format again is a little odd. If they could license onto tapatalk or a similar format it may help to keep things streamlined, but none the less it works a little better than the desktop site. If you want to see what the hype is about mobile formats join a Vbulletin forum. See how they are run, then download tapatalk. Use the setup for awhile and then you will see the hype.

Mike SE IL.

OK, I'll admit my ignorance. I don't understand what you are asking. But I suspect checking your active threads will help.

Checking my active threads has nothing to do with it.

Go view a thread in flat mode. You have to read the post number and what post number the person is responding to in order to follow the discussion. This is not an issue if you use the other two modes. However in keeping with my feelings of using the "ISO" standard used by most other forums, flat is the way I prefer to view. Since I am the minority, I have no issues connecting the dots of who they are replying to. However it takes a lot of time. If the post number would be hyperlinked it would speed things up.

The 3rd picture shows what i am talking about,.

(NAT New Thread View.jpg)

(NAT ISO View.jpg)

(NAT Hyperlink.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NAT New Thread View.jpg (43KB - 286 downloads)
Attachments NAT ISO View.jpg (37KB - 293 downloads)
Attachments NAT Hyperlink.jpg (70KB - 292 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)